November is Adopt a Senior Pet Month — a month dedicated to all furry buddies who have withstood the test of time with us. You’ll be surprised that senior pets have so much to offer. They’re the sweetest and most obedient of pets, and they have so much life left in them. Adopting a senior pet can be one of the best decisions you can make. In fact, most pet parents say adopting senior pets is better than raising puppies and kitties. Do you agree? Here are 20 interesting facts about senior pets.
1. Senior pets are teachable, contrary to the popular belief that old pets can’t learn new tricks.
2. They make the most amazing companions.
3. Senior pets are often the last to be adopted from shelters, putting them at increased risk of euthanasia.
4. Senior canines and felines have higher euthanasia rates than their younger counterparts.
5. Dogs and cats are considered seniors when they are between seven and ten years old.
6. Most senior pets are good at performing commands. They also learn household rules faster because of their patience.
7. They are ideal for households with children because of their low-key natures. They're also great for elderly people.
8. Many senior pets are house-trained (raised at homes before entering shelters).
9. Older pets can bond quicker because they already know how to get along with others.
10. Adopting a senior pet will save you a lot of stress.
11. Adopting a senior pet removes all the guesswork about their personalities and habits because what you see is what you get.
12. They won’t chew your shoes because they don’t have any teeth left.
13. Grown pets do not require constant attention and monitoring because they’re less energetic.
14. People who adopt senior pets get a different level of satisfaction.
15. Senior pets have so much love and compassion to share.
16. Unfortunately, because of their age, many senior pets have health problems.
17. They sleep a lot!
18. They will treat you like a hero for taking them in.
19. Their loyalty only grows with each passing year.
20. Senior pets are full of surprises.